Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Meltdown in the Bread Aisle

This title might bring to mind an all-too-typical trip to the grocery store with a toddler, but I was the one who had the meltdown. Our favorite bread, Oroweat's Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat, added milk as an ingredient. Out of the 100 or so bread options, this was the only dairy-free sliced bread that was tasty enough for my kids and healthy enough for the parents. This had been such a reliable standard for us that I haven't felt the need to read the label for quite some time. It was even on my son's "Safe Food" list. Recently, however, I read on FAAN's website not to make such a list and to check labels every time since manufacturers change their ingredients. With that sound advice on my mind I flipped the Oroweat loaf over and what I saw nearly floored me: whey and nonfat milk in bold, black letters at the end of the ingredient list.


I'm used to checking labels and the frequent disappointment that comes with that necessary task but this was too much. A healthy, allergen-free food that everyone likes is just too hard to come by and this one was now being taken from us with no warning, no bright yellow banner stating, "Now Containing Dairy!" or anything of the like.


After gathering myself and inspecting all other options only to read milk, milk, milk on all of them, I finally found another Oroweat bread: Dutch Country 100% Whole Wheat. It, by the way, isn't nearly as tasty. I called Oroweat to complain thinking that they need to hear from their dairy allergic customers. The nice lady at customer service sympathized and promised to pass on my concern to the powers that be. She also sent me coupons for any of their products . . . excluding Dutch Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment